Every great party starts with appetizers, and every successful party requires proper planning. Whether it is a small get together, a gathering of friends watching the big game, or maybe after school snacks for kids, we all need some kind of dips to go along with cut fruits, vegetables or chips.
Party planning becomes easy if we have some simple, easy but great recipes of dips in hand. I make different recipes every time from one basic recipe for dip and every time it is a hit. It gives me enough time to concentrate on main menu and dessert, and I can enjoy time with everyone because I can prepare it beforehand and refrigerate it.
Following is a basic dip recipe that goes great with pita chips, tortilla chips and just about any type of cracker, especially Triscuits. Be sure to experiment with the suggested combinations, or come up with a few of your own delicious variations.
You can adjust quantity according to your needs and use the measurement
like teaspoon, tablespoon or even a cup. Just keep in mind what
combination of flavors you would love to eat and serve.
BASIC DIP RECIPE:
- 1 part sour cream (try substituting it with thick Greek plain yogurt with some drops of lemon juice)
- 1 part cream cheese
- 1 part mayonnaise
- Ranch or Italian dressing (optional and to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
To the above basic recipe you can add pretty much anything you like :
- 1 box of frozen spinach thawed, crushed and squeezed. Sprinkle some cheese of your choice on top and bake at low temp till cheese melts.
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple
- 1 can of tuna drained and crushed
- Some fresh finely chopped herbs like cilantro, dill, thyme etc.
- Finely grated carrots,cucumbers or finely chopped red or green onion
- Mashed avocado along with little salsa
These are some of the combinations. Options are endless. Be a little creative and I am sure you will find some options which will be your favorite forever and will take a place in you recipe collection.